Tuesday 9 April 2024

Worlds 2024 - Miscellany

I went to the XWing World Championships at Adepticon at the Renaissaance Hotel, Schaumburg, in Chicago for 2024. And I thought it might be useful for someone else in the future if I documented some useful odd bits and pieces.

Where To Stay

I stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites, and I thought it was pretty good. It's less than two miles from the Renaissance where Adepticon is - I'm pretty sure it's walkable or it's about five minutes in an Uber. There's a free hot breakfast every day that was surprisingly better than I expected; there were waffle irons so you could make your own fresh waffles, and the hot items changed every day which I definitely didn't expect. There's also a pool and a gym.

There's a Whole Foods Market about ten minutes walk away so you can pick up water, wine, snacks etc. Woodfield Mall is also about a ten-minute walk.

Where To Eat

Woodfield Mall has a selection of the US chains, Cheesecake Factory is the only one I ate at. Next to the hotel there was a microbrewery bar and grill which looked good and had I had more time I would have tried. Five minutes walk from the hotel is the Weber Grill Restaurant and Cook School, where I had the best meal of the trip. I also ate two nights in the Schaumburg Public House in  the Renaissance, which was pretty good. And the food during the day at the convention center was good, I really liked the meatball sub there. 

What To See in Chicago

If you want to visit Chicago itself, you can get there on the train. Take an Uber to the airport or to Rosemont station, and then get the train to Clark/Lake. From there the sights that I visited were a short walk along the river, then through to Millennium Park as I really wanted to see the Cloud Gate. It's an easy walk from the Cloud Gate down to the shore of Lake Michigan. After that it's a slightly longer, but well worth it, walk to Willis Tower


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unconventional Warfare

Unconventional Warfare is a progressive format for XWing for leagues and multi-round events. On top of the existing rules it layers some lis...